1. Set up “Two step verification” on your Gmail account (if on Gmail, Google has made two-step verification easy to set up.)
2. Check if your email messages are being forwarded without your permission. Check your filters!
3. Where is your email account being accessed from? Check your logs!
4. Choose a unique, hard-to-crack password. DO NOT REUSE PASSWORDS!
5. Secure your computer. If you’re on Windows, use an Antivirus, a Firewall, an Antimalware and always install all updates from Microsoft. If you’re on Linux or other platforms, always install the latest security updates, harden the kernel, use a firewall.
6. Why are you storing sensitive information in your email account? Download it to your computer, encrypt it (TrueCrypt) and store it securely.
If anyone requires assistance with online security, feel free to get in touch with me. OviTech.eu